24.2 C
Accra
Sunday, August 31, 2025
WorldUK bans Wagner Group as terrorist organisation

Date:

UK bans Wagner Group as terrorist organisation

The United Kingdom has formally designated Russia’s Wagner paramilitary group as a terrorist organization, a move that comes weeks after the death of its founder, Yevgeny Prigozhin. This decision, approved on Friday, renders membership in or support for Wagner illegal.

Individuals found guilty of assisting the paramilitary group could be subject to significant fines and penalties, including up to 14 years in prison. Home Secretary Suella Braverman, who proposed the order, described Wagner as a “threat to global security.”

Wagner‘s continuing destabilising activities only continue to serve the Kremlin’s political goals,” Ms Braverman said.

“They are terrorists, plain and simple – and this proscription order makes that clear in UK law.”

The newly implemented order makes it a criminal offense to provide support to the Wagner paramilitary group, which encompasses activities such as arranging meetings to advance its objectives, expressing endorsement of its aims, and displaying the Wagner flag or logo.

Individuals convicted of supporting Wagner could face sentences of up to 14 years in prison or substantial fines.

Wagner will now be added to the list of 78 other banned organizations in the UK, which includes groups like Hamas and Boko Haram.

Founded around 2014 by Yevgeny Prigozhin, Wagner rapidly evolved into a significant instrument of Russian state power during President Vladimir Putin’s tenure. The group has played a role in supporting Putin’s allies in countries such as Syria, Libya, Mali, and the Central African Republic.

Since the invasion of Ukraine, Wagner fighters have been actively involved in the conflict in eastern Ukraine, contributing to some of Russia’s limited successes in cities like Soledar and Bakhmut.

However, Wagner’s future became uncertain earlier this year when Prigozhin led a failed mutiny against Russia’s military leadership. His mysterious death in a plane crash on August 23, along with other Wagner figures, further clouded the group’s fate, and he was subsequently buried in St Petersburg.

On Friday, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov denied that an investigation into the causes of the crash had been too slow, claiming that it was “not a simple investigation, not a simple incident”.

“The investigation is ongoing, that is why giving some kind of commentary would be absolutely premature,” he told reporters.

Senior MPs in the UK have been calling on the government to proscribe Wagner for months.

Earlier this year parliament’s foreign affairs select committee produced a report condemning the government’s “remarkably complacent” approach to the group and criticised its “dismal lack of understanding of Wagner’s hold beyond Europe, in particular their grip on African states”.

Last month, experts told the BBC that rival private military companies were seeking to take over Wagner, in the absence of Prigozhin’s dominating leadership.

On Thursday, Alicia Kearns – chair of the UK parliament’s foreign affairs select committee – urged the government to take “a more strategic approach towards [private military companies] operating across all conflict zones”.

And the UK Labour Party’s shadow Foreign Secretary David Lammy accused the government of being too slow to act and of “failing to keep up with changing threats to our national security”.

It has been reported that Russia has created numerous new private military companies, each with different allegiances.

Anton Mardasov, a non-resident scholar associated with the Syria Program at the Middle East Institute, disclosed to the BBC last month that one of these groups, PMC Redut, is actively trying to compete with Wagner in Syria.

[forminator_poll id="710479"]

Latest stories

“Don’t make me and Stonebwoy fight ooo”- Samini warn netizens

Veteran dancehall musician, Samini has warned netizens to resist...

Kanye West’s Heil Hitler song bans him from entering Australia

US rapper Kanye West has been banned from entering...

Agradaa describes moment shared with President Mahama heavenly – Agradaa

Evangelist Patricia Asiedua, popularly known as Agradaa, shared a...

Dada Joe Remix extradited to face romance scam charges in USA

Ghana’s nightlife mogul and alleged crypto kingpin, Nana Kojo...

Govt launches 24-Hour Economy policy today

The government's flagship, 24-Hour Economy Policy, will be launched...

GRA sets July 16 for GHS1 fuel levy implementation

The implementation of the new GHS1 Energy Sector Shortfall...

Related stories

US travel ban against Togo, Libya, others takes effect today

Effective today, Monday, June 9, nationals of twelve countries...

Pakistan: Police in search of over 200 inmates following earth tremor

Over 200 inmates are currently on the run after...

Pope Leo XIV shares canonical acceptance

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has officially accepted his election...

Profile of the new Pope – Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost

"Peace be with all of you!" - the first...

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost named as the 267th Pope, takes the name Pope Leo XIV

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has been elected as the...

Black smoke signals end of first day of conclave to elect new pope

A thick column of black smoke rising from the...

Siemens exec and his family involved in fatal Hudson helicopter crash

Tragedy struck New York City on Thursday when a...