24.2 C
Accra
Saturday, August 30, 2025
WorldUK and Irish politicians establish £858 million peace fund

Date:

UK and Irish politicians establish £858 million peace fund

Secretary of State Chris Heaton-Harris recently talked with Taoiseach Leo Varadkar about bringing back Stormont. This discussion happened during the introduction of a new financial support program for Northern Ireland.

Mr Heaton-Harris had a meeting with the Prime Minister of Ireland in Belfast on Monday at the Peace Plus event.

The plan, which is paid for by the UK, Ireland, and the EU, will provide £858m for Northern Ireland and the counties near the border.

The money will be given to people from 2021 to 2027.

The money news is happening when Northern Ireland doesn’t have a working government.

It fell apart last year when the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) pulled out because they were mad about the trade rules between Northern Ireland and Great Britain after Brexit.

The DUP has stated that they do not think the Windsor Framework deal, formed between the European Union and the UK Government to improve the Northern Ireland Protocol, adequately tackles their worries.

“A clear answer”

Mr Varadkar and Mr Heaton-Harris quickly talked about the ongoing deadlock in Stormont. Meanwhile, Maros Šefčovič, the chief negotiator for the EU, stated to journalists at the event that the framework offered a final solution to all unresolved matters.

Mr Šefčovič said that both the UK government and the European Union know that they have reached their limits.

The UK government is giving £730 million to the Peace Plus scheme.

Jayne Brady, who is in charge of the Northern Ireland Civil Service, and Paschal Donohoe, who is the Irish Public Expenditure Minister, are also present at the event.
Leo Varadkar, who is the Taoiseach (Irish Prime Minister), is in Belfast on Monday to announce some money that will be given.

Mr Varadkar was supposed to express Dublin’s worries about the UK government’s contentious Legacy Bill when he met with Mr.

It will pass its final stage in the House of Lords this week, even though political parties and victims’ groups in Northern Ireland are against it.

The Irish government has said that it might take the UK to court over the law.

[forminator_poll id="710479"]

Latest stories

“Don’t make me and Stonebwoy fight ooo”- Samini warn netizens

Veteran dancehall musician, Samini has warned netizens to resist...

Kanye West’s Heil Hitler song bans him from entering Australia

US rapper Kanye West has been banned from entering...

Agradaa describes moment shared with President Mahama heavenly – Agradaa

Evangelist Patricia Asiedua, popularly known as Agradaa, shared a...

Dada Joe Remix extradited to face romance scam charges in USA

Ghana’s nightlife mogul and alleged crypto kingpin, Nana Kojo...

Govt launches 24-Hour Economy policy today

The government's flagship, 24-Hour Economy Policy, will be launched...

GRA sets July 16 for GHS1 fuel levy implementation

The implementation of the new GHS1 Energy Sector Shortfall...

Related stories

US travel ban against Togo, Libya, others takes effect today

Effective today, Monday, June 9, nationals of twelve countries...

Pakistan: Police in search of over 200 inmates following earth tremor

Over 200 inmates are currently on the run after...

Pope Leo XIV shares canonical acceptance

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has officially accepted his election...

Profile of the new Pope – Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost

"Peace be with all of you!" - the first...

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost named as the 267th Pope, takes the name Pope Leo XIV

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has been elected as the...

Black smoke signals end of first day of conclave to elect new pope

A thick column of black smoke rising from the...

Siemens exec and his family involved in fatal Hudson helicopter crash

Tragedy struck New York City on Thursday when a...