26.2 C
Accra
Thursday, April 3, 2025
WorldTriple murderer who killed family prevented from being transferred to open jail

Date:

Triple murderer who killed family prevented from being transferred to open jail

The refusal of the justice secretary to transfer him to an open jail has been applauded by the family of a mother who was killed by her husband.

Alex Chalk rejected the Parole Board’s suggestion that Phillip Geoffrey Austin be moved to a jail with less security and supervision after he killed his wife Claire and their two small children.

It was reported that Austin, 54, who is currently serving a minimum 20-year sentence for the killings, had made progress in dealing with his “offending behaviour.”

Claire’s mother, Carol Quinn, expressed her horror at the decision earlier this month in an interview with Metro.co.uk.

She has never recovered from the trauma of the murders on July 10, 2000, when she and her husband discovered the bodies of their 31-year-daughter along with their grandchildren Jade, seven, and Keiren, eight.  

Austin had been due for release on parole after being given three life sentences for the murders.  

The board turned down his request to be released but recommended he be moved to open conditions, generally considered a step towards releasing an offender into the community.  

FOR METRO- Carol Quinn issued the call saying their killer Philip Geoffrey Austin is now due for parole after being given a 20-year tariff. Austin, 51, also killed the family???s two pet poodles in the savage attack. Carol, 74, and her husband Harry, 76, lives in Bugbrooke, Northamptonshire, and are available for a picture.
Carol Quinn has said the loss of her only daughter and grandchildren continues to leave a huge void in the family’s lives (Picture: Joseph Walshe/SWNS)

The board made the decision following a hearing in February 2023 where Carol’s son Matthew Golden and his wife Vicky read impact statements.

They travelled from their home in Northamptonshire to HMP Warren Hill in Suffolk where Austin is being held. 

The closed, Category C jail has the aim of supporting some of the most serious offenders in England and Wales into open conditions or release into the community.

After the hearing took further evidence on May 16, the board found that Austin had ‘undertaken extensive work, including accredited programmes, to address his offending behaviour’. 

Mrs Quinn, from Bugbrooke, Northamptonshire, told Metro.co.uk: ‘When they phoned me to tell me the decision I had to ask the lady to repeat what she said, I couldn’t believe it.

‘It’s such good news, there are now two years until the next hearing where he won’t be able to hurt anyone else, and we hope justice and common sense prevails when the board considers the case again.

‘I’m so grateful for everyone who has supported us. After losing my husband recently, I thought this would be final thing, and he would have been released or been moved to an open prison.

‘As a family we strongly believe that he will murder again. He hasn’t had contact with women to form a relationship in the past 23 years, he’s not had any worries regarding children or handling money.

‘When he comes out he will have to face all of those things and if he forms another relationship, he will kill again.’

Mrs Quinn, 74, had sent a letter to Mr Chalk, pleading with him not to authorise Austin’s application. ‘The day he should be released is the day when my daughter and her children are able to walk out of their graves and continue their lives,’ she has said. 

The Parole Board previously recommended that Austin be moved to an open prison after hearing his case in April 2021 — with the application also refused by the Secretary of State at the time.

The latest decision comes too late for Carol’s husband, Harry, who died on April 22 this year having never recovered from the trauma of the murders.  

In its decision, the board said: ‘The Parole Board refused the release of Phillip Austin but recommended a move to an open conditions prison following an oral hearing in May 2023. 

‘This was a recommendation only and the secretary of state for justice considers the advice before making the final decision on whether a prisoner is suitable for open conditions.’ 

Austin hit Claire over the head with a mallet before strangling her, stabbing her repeatedly, and leaving her body in the kitchen of their home.

He then used the mallet to batter the poodles, Dandy and Sooty, to death. 

Turning his sights on the children, the forklift driver picked them up from school and took them for fish and chips before giving them sleeping medicine and sending them to bed. 

He then went from one room to the other and strangled them in their beds. 

Carol and Harry, who was Claire’s step-father, rushed to the house in Standens Barn, about 10 miles away from their home, a week later after their grandchildren’s school got in touch to ask why they had been absent with no explanation. They discovered Claire’s body on the kitchen floor before going upstairs and finding the children’s bodies in their beds. 

Austin pleaded guilty to the murders and was given three concurrent life sentences with a minimum of 20 years in March 2001. 

Under UK law, a life sentence must be imposed for murder, but this can mean the convicted person being released ‘on licence’. 

Only whole life orders prevent an offender from ever being released, except in ‘exceptional compassionate circumstances’. 

Carol and her niece Sarah Markie have launched a Change.org petition calling for life to mean life, saying that at a relatively young age, Austin should not be allowed to ‘destroy another innocent family’. 

The page has attracted almost 15,000 signatures to date. 

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson said: ‘Protecting the public is our number one priority which is why we have blocked Phillip Austin’s move to an open prison.’

[forminator_poll id="710479"]

Latest stories

No project in Ghana has been suspended – World Bank, Sam George reveal

The World Bank has dismissed speculations regarding the suspension...

Ghana, IMF commence fourth review mission

Ghana has begun its fourth review under the International...

Police officer drowns in River Offin amid galamsey operation

A police officer lost his life in the River...

Ghana hit by 10% import tax as Trump reveals new tarrifs

United States of America (USA) President Donald Trump has...

Bawumia tops list of NPP’s prospective 2028 flagbearers – Global InfoAnalytics

A recent poll by Global InfoAnalytics has positioned former...

Black Sherif’s sophomore album ‘Iron Boy’ released

Ghanaian music sensation Black Sherif has officially unveiled his...

Related stories

USAID cuts: Funding cuts could lead to one million child deaths

A leading global health organization has sounded the alarm...

LJ Smith, author of The Vampire Diaries, passes away at 66

LJ Smith, the acclaimed author behind The Vampire Diaries...

Namibia swears in first female president Nandi-Ndaitwah

Nandi-Ndaitwah has been a dedicated member of the South...

JFK experts scour newly unsealed assassination files

The U.S. government has published the final set of...

Tinubu declares emergency rule in oil-rich Rivers State

Nigeria is facing a growing political crisis after President...

Rival to Erdogan taken into custody shortly before presidential bid

Turkish authorities have arrested the mayor of Istanbul, Ekrem...