26.2 C
Accra
Sunday, August 31, 2025
WorldItalian border police probed for shipwreck that killed 94 migrants

Date:

Italian border police probed for shipwreck that killed 94 migrants

Following the death of numerous migrants off the coast of Calabria, three border police officials in Italy are under investigation on suspicion of manslaughter.

In February, a wooden boat carrying up to 180 people broke apart against sharp rocks, killing at least 94 people, among them a newborn and numerous youngsters.

On the beach of Steccato di Cutro, a little seaside community on Calabria’s eastern coast that serves as the tip of Italy’s boot, the boat’s wreckage washed ashore.

But moments before, Italy’s Guardia di Finanza, or financial police, which also serves borders and customs, was dispatched to intercept the crowded boat.

The European Border and Coast Guard Agency, commonly known as Frontex, first spotted the vessel in the Ionian Sea at about 10:35pm on February 25 evening.

Agency officials alerted the Italian authorities to it, stressing that no one appeared to have a life vest on – the Guardia di Finanza sent out two patrols to ‘intercept’ it.

At 4am, after the force called off the search due to bad weather, the ship was torn apart, the Milan-based Corriere della Sera newspaper and Sky TG24 reported.

epa10491817 A group of people is assisted by emergency services at a beach near Cutro, Crotone province, southern Italy, 26 February 2023. Italian authorities said on 26 February that at least 30 bodies were found on the beach and in the sea near Crotone, in the southern Italian region of Calabria, after a boat carrying migrants sank in rough seas near the coast. About forty people survived the accident, Italian firefighters added. Authorities fear the death toll will climb as rescuers look for survivors. EPA/GIUSEPPE PIPITA
At least 94 people died (Picture: EPA)
Members of Italy’s customs police, Guardia di Finanza, have been brought in for questioning (Picture: Getty Images Europe)

The death toll grew – and fast – as bodies of people from Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan crossing from Turkey washed up ashore over the next few days.

More are months on still missing.

According to Corriere della Sera, citing a search warrant issued by prosecutors, investigators have found ‘significant anomalies’ in a logbook for one of the motorboats dispatched.

Some pages were not written when the border officers were conducting a search but hours later instead – by then, the shipwreck was headline news.

The motorboat, identified as V5006, was actually at the port in Crotone, Calabria, at the time the log said it was out at sea searching for the migrants.

Three personnel have been brought in, though it is unclear whether they were involved in the search or working in the port giving orders.

Sky TG24 reported that three other people are being investigated, though their names had been blacked out in the warrant.

In the course of Italy’s investigation, four men have been arrested on suspicion of being people smugglers among the 80 survivors.

The boat departed from Cesme, a small port west of Izmir, four days before the shipwreck.

The Guardia di Finanza and Frontext have been approached for comment.

[forminator_poll id="710479"]

Latest stories

“Don’t make me and Stonebwoy fight ooo”- Samini warn netizens

Veteran dancehall musician, Samini has warned netizens to resist...

Kanye West’s Heil Hitler song bans him from entering Australia

US rapper Kanye West has been banned from entering...

Agradaa describes moment shared with President Mahama heavenly – Agradaa

Evangelist Patricia Asiedua, popularly known as Agradaa, shared a...

Dada Joe Remix extradited to face romance scam charges in USA

Ghana’s nightlife mogul and alleged crypto kingpin, Nana Kojo...

Govt launches 24-Hour Economy policy today

The government's flagship, 24-Hour Economy Policy, will be launched...

GRA sets July 16 for GHS1 fuel levy implementation

The implementation of the new GHS1 Energy Sector Shortfall...

Related stories

US travel ban against Togo, Libya, others takes effect today

Effective today, Monday, June 9, nationals of twelve countries...

Pakistan: Police in search of over 200 inmates following earth tremor

Over 200 inmates are currently on the run after...

Pope Leo XIV shares canonical acceptance

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has officially accepted his election...

Profile of the new Pope – Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost

"Peace be with all of you!" - the first...

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost named as the 267th Pope, takes the name Pope Leo XIV

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has been elected as the...

Black smoke signals end of first day of conclave to elect new pope

A thick column of black smoke rising from the...

Siemens exec and his family involved in fatal Hudson helicopter crash

Tragedy struck New York City on Thursday when a...