24.2 C
Accra
Sunday, August 31, 2025
WorldGirl dies and dozens injured after Land Rover hits primary school in...

Date:

Girl dies and dozens injured after Land Rover hits primary school in Wimbledon

In London, a car crash into a school building resulted in the death of a youngster.

A Land Rover collided with a wall at The Study Preparatory School on Camp Road in Wimbledon soon before 10am.

View the most recent developments on our live blog right here.

‘This is devastating news, and our sympathies are with the girl’s family and friends, as well as everyone affected today,’ said Detective Chief Superintendent Clair Kelland, local police commander for south west London.

“We continue to investigate the full circumstances of the incident at the scene,” the statement reads.

A woman aged in her 40s has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

Pictures from the scene show a picnic mat and table set up outside the school, suggesting the children had been enjoying an end-of-term party.

Latest London news

Witnesses to the crash reported hearing a large bang which sounded ‘like a bomb going off’.

The Camp Road site of the school caters for younger children between the ages of four and eight.

Wimbledon school crash
The Land Rover outside the school this morning – a significant section of the school’s wall appears to be damaged in the picture (Picture: Sky News)
Officers are responding to an incident at a primary school in Camp Road, Wimbledon
The Study, on Camp Road in Wimbledon, offers places for girls aged 4-11-years-old (Picture: PA)
epa10729494 Emergency services on the site where a car crashed into a primary school in Wimbledon, London, Britain, 06 July 2023. Seven children and two adults have been injured according to Metropolitan Police. The incident is not being investigated as terror related. EPA/TOLGA AKMEN
Emergency services on the scene this afternoon (Picture: EPA)

The Study Preparatory School, which costs £16,000 a year to attend, offers education for girls aged four to 11-years-old.

Scotland Yard said in a statement earlier: ‘Officers remain at the scene of a serious collision at a primary school in Wimbledon.

‘Police were called at 09:54hrs on Thursday July 6 to reports that a car collided with a building at the school in Camp Road.

‘Officers attended, along with paramedics from the London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance.

‘At this time nine people are reported injured, these include two adults and seven children. We await further updates on their conditions.’

The driver of the vehicle stopped at the scene, the force added. There have been no arrests.

The Study is located less than a mile from where the Wimbledon Tournament is taking place.

Stephen Hammond, the Conservative MP for Wimbledon, described the crash as an ‘Extraordinarily distressing and tragic incident on the last day of term… there has actually been a major incident declared.

‘The air ambulance, the ambulance, the fire services, and the police are all in attendance.’

Speaking to BBC News, Mr Hammond added: ‘The size of the response tells you how serious the incident is and there are a number of casualties, and I understand that a number of those are being treated as critical.’

Fire services have also sent several services to the scene, with two engines and two rescue units outside the school.

Video from the scene shows a picnic display outside the school, with a table and yellow picnic blanket laid out on the grass.

Part of a nearby fence seems to be missing in the footage.

In a tweet earlier, the Met said: ‘Officers are responding to an incident at a primary school in Camp Road, Wimbledon.

‘We were called at 09:54hrs to reports that a car collided with a building at the school. Several people are being treated at the scene.

‘We will share further updates when we can.’

The London Ambulance Service has been contacted by Metro.co.uk for comment and, like the Met, said further updates would be available shortly.

Cllr Max Austin, who represents the Wimbledon Village ward, posted on Twitter: ‘Thank you to emergency services for attending. I hope all receiving treatment make a speedy recovery.’

People have been told to avoid the area to allow emergency services to access the scene.

[forminator_poll id="710479"]

Latest stories

“Don’t make me and Stonebwoy fight ooo”- Samini warn netizens

Veteran dancehall musician, Samini has warned netizens to resist...

Kanye West’s Heil Hitler song bans him from entering Australia

US rapper Kanye West has been banned from entering...

Agradaa describes moment shared with President Mahama heavenly – Agradaa

Evangelist Patricia Asiedua, popularly known as Agradaa, shared a...

Dada Joe Remix extradited to face romance scam charges in USA

Ghana’s nightlife mogul and alleged crypto kingpin, Nana Kojo...

Govt launches 24-Hour Economy policy today

The government's flagship, 24-Hour Economy Policy, will be launched...

GRA sets July 16 for GHS1 fuel levy implementation

The implementation of the new GHS1 Energy Sector Shortfall...

Related stories

US travel ban against Togo, Libya, others takes effect today

Effective today, Monday, June 9, nationals of twelve countries...

Pakistan: Police in search of over 200 inmates following earth tremor

Over 200 inmates are currently on the run after...

Pope Leo XIV shares canonical acceptance

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has officially accepted his election...

Profile of the new Pope – Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost

"Peace be with all of you!" - the first...

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost named as the 267th Pope, takes the name Pope Leo XIV

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has been elected as the...

Black smoke signals end of first day of conclave to elect new pope

A thick column of black smoke rising from the...

Siemens exec and his family involved in fatal Hudson helicopter crash

Tragedy struck New York City on Thursday when a...