24.2 C
Accra
Sunday, August 31, 2025
WorldEgypt investigates alleged gang rape at luxury hotel

Date:

Egypt investigates alleged gang rape at luxury hotel

Egypt’s public prosecutor said Wednesday it has ordered an investigation into a gang rape allegation at a luxury hotel in Cairo in 2014 that surfaced on social media last month. “The Public Prosecution received a letter from the National Council for Women, accompanied by a complaint filed by one of the women who endured sexual abuse by several people at the Fairmont Nile City Hotel in Cairo in 2014,” the public prosecutor said in Wednesday’s statement.

Attached to the complaint lodged Tuesday “were testimonies from people with knowledge about the incident,” the prosecutor added.

Results of the investigations will be announced “in due time,” the statement said.

The alleged assault, which took place at a five-star Cairo hotel, involved a group of six men said to have drugged and raped a young woman, according to social media accounts

Names and pictures of the accused, who hail from wealthy families, have circulated widely online but AFP has been unable to verify their authenticity.

Egypt’s National Council for Women condemned retaliatory threats made against women exposing sexual misconduct last week.

The council “stands by every woman and girl exposed to any… threat by providing all necessary support”, it said.

In a statement last week, the Fairmont Hotel said it had conducted an internal investigation but found “that at no time were any reports of the incident filed to the hotel, nor to the hotel’s tourism police”.

The allegations come as part of a resurgent #Metoo wave in the deeply conservative country, seeking to hold sexual predators accountable for their actions.

A 2013 study by UN Women found that 99 percent of women in Egypt had at some point in their lives been sexually harassed, either verbally or physically.

Source: Pulse Ghana

[forminator_poll id="710479"]

Latest stories

“Don’t make me and Stonebwoy fight ooo”- Samini warn netizens

Veteran dancehall musician, Samini has warned netizens to resist...

Kanye West’s Heil Hitler song bans him from entering Australia

US rapper Kanye West has been banned from entering...

Agradaa describes moment shared with President Mahama heavenly – Agradaa

Evangelist Patricia Asiedua, popularly known as Agradaa, shared a...

Dada Joe Remix extradited to face romance scam charges in USA

Ghana’s nightlife mogul and alleged crypto kingpin, Nana Kojo...

Govt launches 24-Hour Economy policy today

The government's flagship, 24-Hour Economy Policy, will be launched...

GRA sets July 16 for GHS1 fuel levy implementation

The implementation of the new GHS1 Energy Sector Shortfall...

Related stories

US travel ban against Togo, Libya, others takes effect today

Effective today, Monday, June 9, nationals of twelve countries...

Pakistan: Police in search of over 200 inmates following earth tremor

Over 200 inmates are currently on the run after...

Pope Leo XIV shares canonical acceptance

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has officially accepted his election...

Profile of the new Pope – Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost

"Peace be with all of you!" - the first...

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost named as the 267th Pope, takes the name Pope Leo XIV

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has been elected as the...

Black smoke signals end of first day of conclave to elect new pope

A thick column of black smoke rising from the...

Siemens exec and his family involved in fatal Hudson helicopter crash

Tragedy struck New York City on Thursday when a...