26.2 C
Accra
Sunday, August 31, 2025
WorldColombia outlaws prostitution in tourist-friendly neighbourhoods

Date:

Colombia outlaws prostitution in tourist-friendly neighbourhoods

The mayor of Colombia‘s second biggest city banned prostitution in some popular areas for six months to stop children from being sexually exploited.

The Mayor of Medellín, Federico Gutiérrez, said in a meeting with reporters that a rule will be put into action in the Provenza and El Poblado neighborhoods. These areas have a lot of popular bars and clubs and are visited by many tourists.

The area is now popular with sex workers who are looking for clients from other countries. They walk around the streets to find them. The mayor said that bad people are taking young people to these neighborhoods and making them do sex work.

“We need to take back control of this place,” Gutiérrez said. “We must also make sure to keep the community safe. ”

In Colombia, it’s okay for adults to do sex work if they agree to it. Colombian laws allow city governments to temporarily stop this activity in certain parts of the city if it is considered dangerous for public safety.

The Medellin prostitution ban was put in place because an American man was found with two local girls who were 12 and 13 years old in a hotel room. This was a big story in the local news.

The 36-year-old was kept by the police for 12 hours, then let go while officials looked into the situation. The local newspapers said that he left Colombia and went to Florida.

Gutiérrez asked Colombian authorities to investigate faster at Monday’s news conference.

“He said it’s disappointing that so many people think they can do whatever they want in Medellín. ”

Prostitution has increased in Medellín because more and more tourists are visiting the city for its nice weather, cheap prices, and fun parties.

Some visitors are finding sex workers in the city’s streets or on dating apps, and some of these meetings have been dangerous.

In January, the government warned people about the dangers of using dating apps in Medellin. This was because eight Americans had been killed there in the past two months.

The warning said that bad people were using dating apps to trick people into going to hotels, restaurants, and bars where they were given drugs, taken away, or stolen from.

[forminator_poll id="710479"]

Latest stories

“Don’t make me and Stonebwoy fight ooo”- Samini warn netizens

Veteran dancehall musician, Samini has warned netizens to resist...

Kanye West’s Heil Hitler song bans him from entering Australia

US rapper Kanye West has been banned from entering...

Agradaa describes moment shared with President Mahama heavenly – Agradaa

Evangelist Patricia Asiedua, popularly known as Agradaa, shared a...

Dada Joe Remix extradited to face romance scam charges in USA

Ghana’s nightlife mogul and alleged crypto kingpin, Nana Kojo...

Govt launches 24-Hour Economy policy today

The government's flagship, 24-Hour Economy Policy, will be launched...

GRA sets July 16 for GHS1 fuel levy implementation

The implementation of the new GHS1 Energy Sector Shortfall...

Related stories

US travel ban against Togo, Libya, others takes effect today

Effective today, Monday, June 9, nationals of twelve countries...

Pakistan: Police in search of over 200 inmates following earth tremor

Over 200 inmates are currently on the run after...

Pope Leo XIV shares canonical acceptance

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has officially accepted his election...

Profile of the new Pope – Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost

"Peace be with all of you!" - the first...

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost named as the 267th Pope, takes the name Pope Leo XIV

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has been elected as the...

Black smoke signals end of first day of conclave to elect new pope

A thick column of black smoke rising from the...

Siemens exec and his family involved in fatal Hudson helicopter crash

Tragedy struck New York City on Thursday when a...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here