24.2 C
Accra
Sunday, August 31, 2025
World13 family members, including 9 children die from consuming poisonous porridge

Date:

13 family members, including 9 children die from consuming poisonous porridge

At least nine members of the same family have reportedly died after consuming poisonous porridge.

The children were among 13 members of the same household that passed away after contracting acute food illness in Namibia.

Authorities think the porridge turned hazardous when it was combined with a fermenting byproduct of a home-brewed alcoholic beverage.

It’s believed that at least 20 family members ate the poisonous porridge.

Three girls, age 6, and two other females, age 3 and 12, together with four boys, ages 2, 9, 13, and 14, all died in hospitals.

The adult victims were as old as 33, according to the Namibian Broadcasting Corporation.

Namibia’s Ministry of Health and Social Services confirmed the devastating incident happened in the Kavango East region in the far northeast of the African country on Saturday.

Eight people remain in hospital, with five of those in a critical condition.

A spokesman for the country’s ministry of health said: ‘It is reported that members of a household consumed a poisonous/toxic porridge made with pearl millet mahangu flour and added dried and pounded fermented sediment from homemade beverage/beer, locally known as mundevere.’

The ministry says it conveys its ‘deepest sympathy and condolences to the bereaved family’, who live in the village of Kayove in the Nyangana district.

They added: ‘All the patients are being monitored closely. Additional blood samples were also taken for alcohol poisoning testing. 

‘The Ministry of Health and Social Services has deployed a team of social workers to provide psychosocial support and counselling to the bereaved family. 

‘Officials from the ministry will provide health education to members of the community on food preparation practices and the dangers of mixing food with potentially contaminated materials.’

Earlier this year, a dad spoke of how he was almost paralysed after eating a curry that gave him catastrophic food poisoning.

[forminator_poll id="710479"]

Latest stories

“Don’t make me and Stonebwoy fight ooo”- Samini warn netizens

Veteran dancehall musician, Samini has warned netizens to resist...

Kanye West’s Heil Hitler song bans him from entering Australia

US rapper Kanye West has been banned from entering...

Agradaa describes moment shared with President Mahama heavenly – Agradaa

Evangelist Patricia Asiedua, popularly known as Agradaa, shared a...

Dada Joe Remix extradited to face romance scam charges in USA

Ghana’s nightlife mogul and alleged crypto kingpin, Nana Kojo...

Govt launches 24-Hour Economy policy today

The government's flagship, 24-Hour Economy Policy, will be launched...

GRA sets July 16 for GHS1 fuel levy implementation

The implementation of the new GHS1 Energy Sector Shortfall...

Related stories

US travel ban against Togo, Libya, others takes effect today

Effective today, Monday, June 9, nationals of twelve countries...

Pakistan: Police in search of over 200 inmates following earth tremor

Over 200 inmates are currently on the run after...

Pope Leo XIV shares canonical acceptance

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has officially accepted his election...

Profile of the new Pope – Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost

"Peace be with all of you!" - the first...

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost named as the 267th Pope, takes the name Pope Leo XIV

Cardinal Robert Francis Prevost has been elected as the...

Black smoke signals end of first day of conclave to elect new pope

A thick column of black smoke rising from the...

Siemens exec and his family involved in fatal Hudson helicopter crash

Tragedy struck New York City on Thursday when a...