24.2 C
Accra
Saturday, August 30, 2025
Independent AfricaCholera: Death toll rise in Haiti, with the outbreak becoming 'worse and...

Date:

Cholera: Death toll rise in Haiti, with the outbreak becoming ‘worse and worse every day’

Haiti’s health ministry has announced that, a deadly resurgence of cholera has claimed 136 lives so far.

According to the Haitian Health Ministry’s statement, 89 of those infected died in hospitals or cholera treatment centres, while 47 died at home.

To address the crisis, the Haitian government is collaborating with international health organisations.

“We have been receiving 250 people a day lately. There’s a surge in cases in most parts of the metropolitan area. This is very concerning for us as we have a limited capacity with around 350 beds in our cholera treatment centers,” said Alexandre Marcou, a communications officer for medical NGO Médecins Sans Frontières, speaking to CNN on Wednesday.

A worker disinfects around a clinic run by Doctors Without Borders in Cité Soleil, Port-au-Prince, Haiti, October 7, 2022.
A worker disinfects around a clinic run by Doctors Without Borders in Cité Soleil, Port-au-Prince, Haiti, October 7, 2022. Richard Pierrin/AFP/Getty Images

People who live in areas with shortages of safe drinking water or inadequate sanitation are vulnerable to cholera, which can result from consuming bacteria-contaminated food or water.

Although vaccines exist and symptoms can be “easily treated,” according to the World Health Organization, cholera remains an insidious killer through dehydration in the developing world.

Just one month ago, the Health Ministry had documented only eight cholera deaths, all in the densely populated capital Port-au-Prince.

Now, according to Marcou, the virus is spreading in remote areas of the country, which health services struggle to access and monitor.

“These places are harder to know what is going on there in real time due to the current crisis. It is clear the situation is getting worse and worse every day,” he said.

Until this year, the disease appeared to have been largely stamped out of the country, after a nationwide public health effort.

The last outbreak began in 2010, when cholera spread from a camp of United Nations peacekeepers into the population.

That outbreak ultimately reached 800,000 cases and claimed at least 10,000 lives. Though the UN has acknowledged its involvement in the outbreak, it has not accepted legal responsibility. Rights organizations have not stopped calling for financial compensation for victims.

[forminator_poll id="710479"]

Latest stories

“Don’t make me and Stonebwoy fight ooo”- Samini warn netizens

Veteran dancehall musician, Samini has warned netizens to resist...

Kanye West’s Heil Hitler song bans him from entering Australia

US rapper Kanye West has been banned from entering...

Agradaa describes moment shared with President Mahama heavenly – Agradaa

Evangelist Patricia Asiedua, popularly known as Agradaa, shared a...

Dada Joe Remix extradited to face romance scam charges in USA

Ghana’s nightlife mogul and alleged crypto kingpin, Nana Kojo...

Govt launches 24-Hour Economy policy today

The government's flagship, 24-Hour Economy Policy, will be launched...

GRA sets July 16 for GHS1 fuel levy implementation

The implementation of the new GHS1 Energy Sector Shortfall...

Related stories

US travel ban against Togo, Libya, others takes effect today

Effective today, Monday, June 9, nationals of twelve countries...

Pakistan: Police in search of over 200 inmates following earth tremor

Over 200 inmates are currently on the run after...

5-day 2025 African Development Bank Group Annual Meetings begins today

The 2025 Annual Meetings of the African Development Bank...

SA set to appeal acquittal of Nigerian pastor accused of rape

Authorities in South Africa (SA) have pledged to continue...